October 3, 2008

Hinch facing jail over the naming of two sex offenders

10-3-2008 Australia:

BROADCASTER Derryn Hinch is facing a possible jail term after being charged today over the naming of two sex offenders.

In May Hinch, 64, named two serious sex offenders during a rally at Parliament House, despite their identities being protected by court orders.

He will be charged with five counts of breaching a suppression order.

If convicted he faces up to 12 months jail and fines in excess of $12,000 for each offence.

In a statement on 3AW this afternoon, Hinch said he had done what he believed was right.

"Did I think I was morally and legally in the right. My answer? I know I was morally right," he said.

"Whether or not I was legally right is for the courts to decide. And that’s the way it should be.

"I have done what I believe I had to do. The court will now do its job. As it should. And it will."

The "Name Them and Shame Them" rally on the steps of Parliament House was part of Hinch's campaign to overturn a law that allows for the continued protection of serial sex offenders after they have been released from jail. ..News Source.. by Sarah Wotherspoon

No comments: