March 30, 2012

'Pimp bill' becomes law; new rules and steeper fines

3-30-2012 Washington:

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Anyone convicted of promoting prostitution will pay a lot more money under the law. House Bill 1938 became law Thursday.

"Larger fines. Anytime someone gets hit in the pocketbook, that's a deterrent," said Yakima City Prosecutor, Cynthia Martinez.

The current fines for first-time convictions of $300 will jump to $3,000. Second offenses will be $6,000. A 3rd time offender will be charged $10,000.

The bill also requires pimps to register as sex offenders after their second conviction.

Prosecutors say having pimps being registered as sexual offenders will not only help them and law enforcement keep track of the criminals, it can also serve to help the public.

"I want to know who's living around me, and I don't keep that information to myself," Martinez said. "I think it's very good and I can tell you I use it myself and I know a lot of other mothers who use that information."

Yakima Police say they made around 40 arrests for prostitution in Yakima in the past year. Prosecutors say they handled 18 cases of prostitution or solicitation. Martinez says deterring pimps might lead to a decrease in prostitution rings.

"Arguably if you don't have pimps, you're gonna have less prostitutes," Martinez said.

All of the fees paid are required to go towards city and county sex-crime prevention, enforcement and awareness.

(KIMA: Ultimately this bill will serve as a tool for you guys in prosecution?) "Oh definitely, definitely," Martinez said. ..Source.. by Matt Finn

No comments: