January 16, 2012

The newly crowned Miss America, Laura Kaeppeler aka Ms. Wisconsin, has a special cause: Children of the Incarcerated. At one time, she was one.

1-16-2012 National:

The newly crowned Miss America, Laura Kaeppeler aka Ms. Wisconsin, has a special cause: Children of the Incarcerated. At one time, she was one. Check out her organization, Circles of Support: http://laurakaeppeler.com/Home_Page.html

As to her post-Miss America plans, her website says in addition to her mentoring work, she will pursue a degree in Family and Child Advocacy Law. She also owns a music studio and teaches voice and piano. For her talent competition, she performed (sang) Luigi Arditi's classical aria, Il Bacio.

From her website:

Nationwide, more than two million children have a parent who is incarcerated in state or federal prison or local jail.

Children with imprisoned parents are almost six times more likely than their peers to become incarcerated at some point in their lives.

About one in 40 children have an incarcerated father.

More than ten million children have parents who were at one time imprisoned.

About one in 359 children have an incarcerated mother.

There is no one agency responsible for their welfare.

Anger, isolation, sadness, fear, anxiety and guilt are commonly experienced emotions for these children.

School failure, delinquency and intergenerational incarceration are common outcomes.
Also check out Children of the Incarcerated and my prior posts here, here, here and here.

Check out this Bill of Rights for Children of the Incarcerated, first published in 2003.:
1. I have the right to be kept safe and informed at the time of my parent’s arrest.
2. I have the right to be heard when decisions are made about me.
3. I have the right to be considered when decisions are made about my parent.
4. I have the right to be well cared for in my parent’s absence.
5. I have the right to speak with, see and touch my parent.
6. I have the right to support as I face my parent’s incarceration.
7. I have the right not to be judged, blamed or labeled because my parent is incarcerated.
8. I have the right to a lifelong relationship with my parent.
.... Source

No comments: