December 22, 2011

Ohio may not want sex offender returned; fate uncertain for woman who pretended to be a boy

Another cost tied to a "Failure to Register" charge: transportation. This is a money making industry soaking taxpayers' pockets.
12-22-2011 California:

An Ohio sex offender may be spending some additional time in the Humboldt County jail, as authorities in her home state seem to have backed away from extraditing her.

Patricia Dye -- a 32-year-old Ohio woman infamous for her conviction of posing as a teenage boy to pursue a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl -- was due to be extradited to Butler County, Ohio, in the coming weeks to answer to charges of failing to register as a sex offender, but her status is now uncertain.

Humboldt County Deputy District Attorney Allan Dollison said he was informed Tuesday -- almost a week after Dye appeared in court and waived her right to an extradition hearing -- that Ohio prosecutors had canceled their request to have Dye shipped back to her home state.

”I was informed that Ohio does not want her back,” Dollison said, adding that his office is now considering failure-to-register charges against Dye, who had been living in Orick since Oct. 1. She was arrested Dec. 8 at an Orick motel.

Humboldt County Sheriff's Lt. Steve Knight said Dye was still in custody Wednesday, held as a fugitive of justice -- a designation only a judge can dismiss. Knight said the jail received both a teletype and a fax from Ohio authorities on Tuesday asking it to release the hold they had placed on Dye just days earlier.

”The words they used was their 'pickup radius has changed,'” Knight said, referring to the radius within which authorities will pay to have criminals returned to their jurisdiction.

Butler County Prosecutor Mike Gmoser told the Dayton Daily News on Wednesday that his office wrestled with whether to have Dye shipped to Dayton County to answer to the felony failure-to-register charge -- an extradition that comes with a $2,400 price tag -- and ultimately decided to do so after securing a $2,000 grant from the Attorney General's Office.

”We will bring her back,” Gmoser said. “The sex registry is important.”

Neither Dollison nor Knight had received word on Wednesday that Dayton County is once again looking to have Dye extradited.

Dye became an infamous figure in Warren County, Ohio, after her arrest in June 2010 which came on the heels of police finding a 16-year-old runaway girl, malnourished and with sores on her feet, wandering the streets of Franklin, Ohio. The girl had been with a 14-year-old boy named Matthew Abrams who authorities later determined was a then-31-year-old Dye.

Prosecutors alleged Dye pretended to be Abrams in order to develop an ongoing dating relationship with the girl, even getting to know her family and friends. Dye was indicted by a criminal grand jury and ultimately convicted of misdemeanor charges of sexual imposition, attempted sexual imposition and contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a child, all stemming from the single victim.

Dye was released from the Dayton County jail last December, having served a six-month sentence, and was required to register as a Tier 1 sex offender. She allegedly fell out of compliance when she moved and failed to report her change of address, prompting the issuance of an arrest warrant in August.

The U.S. Marshals Office developed information that Dye was in Humboldt County, and U.S. Marshal Brad Gil ultimately tracked her down in Orick.

While the Humboldt County District Attorney's Office initially said it considered charging Dye with failing to register as a sex offender in California, it decided not to pursue the charges as Dye was being extradited to Ohio. In the wake of Tuesday's news that Ohio authorities might not want Dye returned there, Dollison said his office would reconsider filing local charges.

Dye has a court date set for Jan. 9 but will likely be calendared for a hearing before then, given recent developments. ..Source.. by Thadeus Greenson/The Times-Standard

No comments: