August 9, 2011

Rape charge dropped, but Houston man's 'whole life is ruined'

8-9-2011 Texas:

Six months after being charged with rape in a case that left his personal life in shambles, Jose Jose Torres is now able to begin picking up the pieces.

Citing insufficient evidence, the Harris County District Attorney's Office on Thursday dismissed an aggravated sexual assault charge against the Houston man, according to court records.

Torres, 32, served two months in jail early this year and is still trying recover from the stigma of being an accused rapist.

"Right now, my whole life is ruined," Torres said Monday. "I lost my job and was evicted from my apartment. I'm trying to pick myself up."

Torres was charged in February in the reported sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in her southeast Houston home in July 2010.

According to police, Torres visited the house two days before the incident as a contract sales representative for Comcast. The girl identified him in a photo lineup, which led to his arrest.

Torres is criticizing how police handled the case.

"This whole story was messed up since the beginning," Torres said. "The family said I went into the house, I never went inside that house. There was no evidence and no witnesses. I had to prove my innocence instead of them proving my guilt."

Torres and his attorney, Juan Guerra, said negative DNA results led to the dismissal.

The district attorney's office could not be reached to confirm the reason for the dismissal. Houston police have not yet commented on Torres' statements.

Guerra said he and Torres are considering seeking compensation for damages stemming from the case. Following the charges, Torres lost two jobs, was evicted from his apartment and couldn't find employment.

Torres, who had no prior criminal record, said he was shocked that he was almost sent to prison over the accusation.

"I've never done anything," he said. "I never thought I would get charged or it would go this far. I believe this could happen to anybody now."

Guerra said he empathizes with Torres' plight and hopes to seek justice.

"He lost a lot," Guerra said. "(People) said he was a monster and should not be allowed to roam the streets. I'm just frustrated at the system." ..Source.. by RYAN ROCKETT, HOUSTON CHRONICLE

No comments: