April 13, 2011

Lebanon one step closer to having new rules for sex offenders

4-13-2011 Ohio:

LEBANON, OH (FOX19) -
Tuesday night, the Lebanon city council discussed an ordinance that would forbid any registered sex offender from loitering within 300 feet of parks, playgrounds, the YMCA and other areas where children hang out.

"I am really concerned and I am a concerned citizen," said Sarah Scott, parent. "I have children and I am concerned about all the other children living here. It's a big deal."

Scott went to Tuesday night's city hall meeting to express her support.

The ordinance allows police to use their discretion in questioning any suspicious person hanging out within 300 feet of parks, the library, churches, or any other common place where children can be found.

"Having been a school teacher all of my life, having raised a daughter and having two children I think that is a fair law," said Faye Curran.

Sex offenders that violate the law will be fined $500 or could spend six months in jail. Sponsor of the ordinance, Councilman Matthew Rodriguez, said the ordinance has the council's support.

"I think the consensus here is that this ordinance will pass," said Rodriguez.

The ordinance will be voted on at next city council meeting on April 26. ..Source.. by Cory Stark

No comments: