March 2, 2011

Memphis Man Says He Was Wrongly Arrested During A Police Sex Offender Roundup

3-2-2011 Tennessee:

FAST FACTS:

---Memphis Man Says He Was Wrongly Arrested During A Sex Offender Roundup
---Corey Dickerson Calls It A Case Of Mistaken Identity
---He Says He Will Take The Memphis Police Department To Court

(Memphis 3/1/2011) Corey Dickerson's just been released from jail.

Dickerson said, "Take a look at his picture. They say that's me, but that's not me."

Corey S. Dickerson who admits he's had trouble with the law before says this time he was mistakenly arrested by Memphis police because they thought he was the other guy.

Dickerson said, "My story is I've been falsely accused and falsely identified and falsely imprisoned for something I never did."

Dickerson says he was arrested during a Memphis police and U.S. Marshall Service roundup of more than three dozen sex offenders.

He says they were really looking for Corey O. Dickerson who's charged with rape.

Dickerson said, "They came to my house and said I had an indictment for failing to register as a sex offender and I don't even have a sex offender charge. They held me in here for 24 hours for nothing."

He says officers knew they had the wrong man.

Dickerson said, "On my way to jail they told me they know it's not me and they made me make a bond and arrested me."

He posted a 10-thousand dollar bond.

Dickerson says he's embarrassed for something he didn't do, "I'm really emotionally distressed right now. It's nothing to explain how I feel to be honest with you. I'm really just disappointed with the whole system, the city, the sheriff, the judicial system, all of them."

This Corey Dickerson also says make no mistake, he will take the police department to court because of his case of mistaken identity.

Dickerson said, "I feel like just because my name is in the system I shouldn't be going to jail for a mistake that they made and I feel like I need to be compensated."

As for the other Corey Dickerson, he hasn't been arrested.

Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin admits a mistake was made and says officers had the correct arrest number for the suspect but apprehended the wrong person with the same name.

Godwin says his people tried to get Dickerson released but he'd already bonded out. ..Source.. Alex Coleman

3 comments:

George said...

I hope he really does sue ALL of these animals and WINS. And, I hope his winnings have AT LEAST 8 figures in them!!!

This crap is going to happen more and more. When are people going to wake up and realize that once they let them treat one "class" or "group" like this, then soon they themselves will get caught up into it - whether they deserve to or not.

I hope a SHARK attorney steps up on contingency only and brings all of these animals to their knees in a court of law!!!!

Daniel Goichman said...

i hope they learn their lesson that the laws are protecting anyone and just punishing people over and over for a crime no one cared about in the first place except law enforcement.

Anonymous said...

I live in Memphis. For the past 10 yrs, the sheriff's & police depts have been answering people's background check requests on me by telling them I have had multiple arrests & convictions. I told the crim ct clerk about my problem, but they refuse to stop this. Here, the authorities only use a forename, surname and street name to do background checks. When I date a girl, she comes back & tells me she wants nothing to do w me because i am a convicted criminal. Likewise I have been unable to get a job for 10 yrs. One place told me I was not fit for employment anywhere at their place. I have a BA degree & work experience, but now I am deeply depressed & desperate. No atty will take my case. They say there is no recourse. Why is it ok for them to keep doing this to me? They have even told my mother, grandmother and father that I am a criminal--the crim ct clerk's office told them this false info to their faces when they requested a check on me! How can I make them stop telling people I am a criminal? I hate Memphis!
--poorfool