September 14, 2009

FL- Police warn residents of felons living nearby

The more I thought of this the more it upset me. I sat down and thought about what would I think important to ME about people coming into my neighborhood, so that I would want a FLYER about? Then I thought of "Rodney King" and how the police beat him, and other news reports of police and public official criminality and corruption. Yup, I want to know about EVERY COMPLAINT (including Internal Affairs complaints)or CRIMINAL CHARGE against police and public officials, thats what I want to know about. If in an emergency I need help, I want to know who I can rely on to help me. Those in power, thats important to me, so I can vote them out at next election if they are getting complaints, and I want it online with their picture and office they are employees of. Yup, thats what I want.

9-14-2009 Florida:

TAMPA - Cops checking on sex predators is routine now-a-days, in fact, putting out their faces and names and addresses online and elsewhere is actually required by law.

But now we've learned, Hillsborough deputies are moving beyond sex offenders; they're going out telling folks they've got a felon for neighbors.

Here's what two detectives were telling folks in Pinehurst this morning.

"This is a known offender who lives in your neighborhood, we just wanted to provide you with that, so you kinda know what's going on," they said.

"Kinda know whats going on," what is that supposed to imply, he is doing wrong or what? What are you implying?

__-year-old convicted felon ______'s mug shot is the first to go door to door. Says Sargeant Brett Sauders of HCSO,

"If you see him out and about, you might just pay a bit more attention to him than you did the day before now that we've made you aware of his past," said Sergeant Brett Sauders of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

Why pay attention to him at all, what is it you are implying? The past is the past, are we going to get to the point of telling folks if someone peed in the pool? Enough is enough, stop harassing these folks. The more these people are harassed, the more of them wind up on welfare, then it comes out of my pocket. Get outta Dodge with this baloney.

___'s family told them he was out looking for a job. They called the flyer harassment, but we couldn't find a neighbor who didn't want one.

"I think its a very good thing, very good. Its nice to see that they're making moves to get bad people off the streets," said Jacquelyn Walker.

Yet this brand new tactic of taking crime to the neighbors, warning them about offenders in the neighborhood, doesn't sit well with the American Civil Liberties Union.

ACLU Florida Board member Mike Pheneger says while the practice is legal, there is a risk.

"This basically invites these people to go and hunt this guy down", Pheneger says, "and who knows what's likely to happen after that?"

"We're not putting their address on the bulletin, and we're certainly not trying to create that, all we're looking for is to put the information out, to create the awareness," Sgt. Saunders said.

Another neighbor who got the flyer, Alba Martinez, says it makes her feel safer. She says they had a motorcycle stolen recently.

Here we go -she feels safer- but now she also thinks "maybe this guy took the motorcycle? Police are subtly planting thoughts in the minds of the public. So much for impartial police lineups.

Dputies say they'll be moving to other neighborhoods soon, going out door to door once a month. ..Source.. by MyFox Tampa Bay

No comments: