May 16, 2009

Windows 7 was released, will your system handle it?

5-16-2009 Global:

Hi folks, technology moves on whether we like that or not.

On May 5th Microsoft released its new version of "Windows 7" their new operating system for all personal computers (PCs); well not really ALL... Not for MACs either.

Someday in the future we will be forced to move to Windows 7, but the question is, can our computers handle it, or are we going to have to buy new ones?

Grrrr, the price we pay for staying up to date........Does Bill Gates really need more money?

However, Microsoft has released a program to check our systems today and tell us all sorts of things, about our hardware and software, and whether both ARE ready to install Window 7.

Actually it is a good compatibility program which prepares a list of compatibility problems you will face IF you want to install Windows 7. The program downloads a small program to your computer which does the checking for compatibility; it DOES NOT change anything on your system and takes 5-7 minutes to check a system.

The only thing I didn't like about the compatibility program is, it does not allow printing the list of compatibility issues, instead it creates a file you can store on your drive which THEORITICALLY you can print later on.

The reason I say theoretically is, when I tried to print mine, it wanted a file I do not have on my hard drive...grrrr. I have no idea where to get this file but I'll e-mail Microsoft to find out.

The compatibility program can also create a icon on your desktop so you can run it time and time again, I assume as you fix compatibility issues and want to retest your system.

So, my advice is, at least find out whether you will need a new system, or will need to make changes to your current system.

From everything I read Windows 7 is something everyone will be thankful to have; only time will tell.

Here is the Microsoft page to tell you what to do.

Good luck,
eAdvocate

PS: My system needs several things before handling Windows 7

No comments: